Herbert-von-Karajan-Platz 8, 5020 Salzburg
The laying of the foundation stone for the Sacellum took place on May 14, 1618. In 1663 it was expanded and provided with a high altar and two side altars. Today's marble high altar was built between 1766 and 1768 based on a design by Wolfgang Hagenauer and the two side altars were added around 1750. The stonemasonry was delivered by master stonemason Doppler in Himmelreich.
The Sacellum (“place belonging to a god”) was awarded to the German congregation in 1696, according to an inscription on the outer wall.
The oval medallions on the ceiling, a cross vault made of five bays, show the 15 secrets of the rosary, a theme that repeats the images of the Aula Academica. The lead reliefs with scenes from the life of Saints Benedict and Borromeo created by Johann Baptist Hagenauer are also precious. The side chapel and sacristy complement the rectangular sacral building. On the south side there is an extension consisting of a rectangular room and a rectangular anteroom. The sacristy is to the east of the sanctuary.